How to route Jira Service Management approvals to Azure AD manager
A typical use case for many Jira Service Management customers is to route approvals to a requestor's manager in Azure AD.
Multiplier uses Jira's post functions to accomplish setting the manager as an issue's approver. If you're new to post functions in Jira, learn more about them in Atlassian's documentation.
Once you've installed the app from the Atlassian marketplace, and completed the initial setup, follow the steps below to automatically set a user's manager from Azure AD as the request approver:
1. Navigate to the Jira workflow that is associated with the relevant request type.
2. Select the Create issue transition, and click on Post Functions. It's important that you select this particular transition, otherwise you might have difficulties with notification emails that JSM sends out to approvers.
3. Click on Add post function.
4. On the next screen, select the Multiplier: Assign issue approver post function.
5. Select the Issue Approver Field, making sure that it's the same one that you've configured for the approval step in the workflow. This field is typically called Approvers.
Next, you'll also need to select Manager as the Manager Email Source Field.
Click on Add when done.
6. That's it. Remember to hit 'Publish Draft' at the top of the page to save your changes.
Now, when an end user raises a request that follows the workflow you've just edited, it should automatically route the request to the requestor's manager in AD for approval.
Here's a quick demo of what this looks like: