Automate access to Jira projects
As a Jira admin on a large instance, it's common to receive requests from employees asking for access to a project.
However, typically the Jira admins don't really know how to handle these requests, so you forward the request to the project lead, asking for their approval before you add them to the right group or project role.
This manual process can now be fully automated using Multiplier's post functions.
Once you've installed the Multiplier app from the Atlassian marketplace, and connected your Atlassian instance, follow the steps outlined below:
1. Create a JSM request type to capture these requests from your users. Make sure you have a field that contains the name of the Jira project. This field can be dynamically populated using Multiplier's Portal Fields functionality.
2. Navigate to the workflows screen, and Edit the workflow that maps to this request type.
3. If you want to route this request to the Project lead for approval, select the Issue create transition, and add the Multiplier trigger action post function. 4. Select Atlassian as the provider on the following screen, and configure the post function to trigger only for the request type we set up in Step 1.
Select Assign Issue Approver from Project Lead as the action, and map your issue approver field, and the field that contains the Project Name.
5. Click on Add. This will add the project lead as the approver for these access requests.
Now, the next thing we need to do is automate adding the user to the right project role or the group to enable access to this project once approval happens.
6. Select the workflow transition that happens when an issue is "approved", and go to the post functions screen again.
7. Configure a new post function, which may look something like the below example:
You can either add the user to a group or to a project role.
You may have to create a few post functions depending on how many groups/roles you have set up and what projects end users can request.
8. Click on Add and then don't forget to publish your workflow.
You've now successfully automated access requests for Jira projects. This workflow can also be used to grant access to other features, such as Confluence Spaces.
If you have any feedback, or questions - feel free to reach out to us for support at email@example.com.